I just finished reading, “The Multiplying Church” by Bob Roberts Jr. This was a good read. Lots of stuff to make you think. At the end of the book, he gives some quotes from the book and says these are the things I never want you to forget. I’d like to share some of them with you.
- Until you can stand up in front of a group of people and say, “Imitate me”, you have no business starting or leading a church.
- It’s not really about church planting, it’s about transformation.
- Steal from every model, yet make sure you don’t copy any one.
- Finish it. Anyone can start a church; it takes much more to complete the task. What we need more of are not more church starters but church finishers.
- You’re not going to win the world for Christ 9:00 to 5:00, Monday through Thursday.
- You have enough time in the day to get every single thing done that needs to be done.
- Any vision that doesn’t require your entire life isn’t a vision; it’s just a thought.
- If you make your family hate you for starting a church or winning the world, you did it wrong. If they hate you, what difference does string a church make?
- Converts may grow a church, but disciples change the world.
- You’ve been called to the Kingdom, not called to preach.
Also, Roberts prayer at the beginning of the book rocked my world;
Father, break us of the way we have tied our egos to our ministries. forgive us of wanting to be the superstars and the heroes. Forgive us for engaging in turfism and allowing our individual ministries to define your kingdom. May we see that your kingdom is beyond any one single local church, and may those of us that are pastors lead our churches in like manner.
May our focus be for the love of you. May our mandate be to equip others to follow you. May the fruit of our hands be seen in a viral faith that is spreading all across our land through churches that are being multiplied.
There’s more but, I’ll let you buy it and read it!